Aeropelican Air Services is an Australian regional airline that operates domestic routes within New South Wales and Queensland. The airline was founded in 1965 as a small charter airline, and has since grown and evolved to become one of the leading regional airlines in Australia. Here is a brief overview of the history of Aeropelican Air Services.
The airline was founded in 1965 by two men, Bob and Peter Wrigley, who wanted to create a small charter airline. They purchased a single Cessna 185 and started flying charter flights throughout New South Wales and Queensland. Over the next few years, the fleet was slowly expanded to include additional aircraft, and the airline began to offer scheduled flights to regional destinations.
In the early 1980s, the airline was purchased by the Australian airline Ansett and began operating as Ansett Regional Services. The fleet was upgraded with newer aircraft and the airline began to offer flights to more destinations. In 1995, the airline was sold to a private investor and the name Aeropelican Air Services was reinstated.
Since then, Aeropelican has continued to expand and upgrade its fleet. The airline now operates a fleet of ATR 72 and Dash 8 aircraft, and offers flights to over 20 destinations in New South Wales and Queensland. The airline has also become a leader in regional aviation safety, and has received numerous awards for its commitment to safety and customer service.
Throughout its history, Aeropelican Air Services has achieved several major milestones. Here are some of the most important ones:
1. In 1992, Aeropelican became the first regional airline in Australia to be ISO 9001 certified. This certification is an international standard for quality management systems, and it is a testament to the company’s commitment to excellence.
2. In 1995, Aeropelican was the first regional airline in Australia to introduce a computerized flight management system. This system allowed for more efficient and safe operations, and allowed the airline to remain competitive in the regional aviation market.
3. In 2000, Aeropelican became the first regional airline in Australia to introduce an online booking system. This system allowed customers to easily book flights online, and it also allowed Aeropelican to offer more competitive fares.
4. In 2004, Aeropelican became the first regional airline in Australia to introduce a loyalty program for its customers. This program allowed customers to earn points for their flights, which could be redeemed for free flights or other rewards.
5. In 2008, Aeropelican became the first regional airline in Australia to introduce a mobile booking app. This app allowed customers to book flights directly from their smartphones, and it also allowed Aeropelican to reach more customers.
Unfortunately, Aeropelican has also experienced some set-backs during its history. In 2000, the airline was involved in a fatal air crash when one of its aircraft crashed in the sea near Brisbane. Two people were killed in the accident, and the airline was heavily criticized for its safety record. The airline was also the subject of a federal investigation in 2003 when it was accused of operating an unsafe maintenance program. The airline was cleared of any wrongdoing, but the incident tarnished its reputation.
Despite these incidents, Aeropelican Air Services has continued to grow and evolve over the years. The airline now operates a modern fleet of aircraft and has expanded its route network to reach more destinations. The airline has also become a leader in aviation safety and customer service, and is well-respected in the regional aviation community.